Illinois: Medical Cannabis Physicians' Summit Aims To Educate Medical Community
The Canna Law Group, in partnership with the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago, Americans for Safe Access, and the Marijuana Policy Project, is co-hosting the Illinois Medical Cannabis Physicians’ Summit on Friday, June 5, 2015 at the Westin Chicago River North.
The summit will educate licensed medical professionals on current medical cannabis research, state and federal law, and the Illinois Medical Cannabis Pilot Program. “Educating the medical community about medical cannabis treatment options is essential for the long-term success of the program,” said Rep. Lou Lang, prime sponsor of the current medical cannabis law.
The event will feature as its keynote speaker leading cannabis researcher Dr. Donald Abrams, who has conducted multiple FDA-approved studies on the medical benefits of cannabis. Dr. Suzanne Sisley, another clinical researcher on cannabis who studies its benefits for PTSD sufferers, will also speak at the summit.
“Many doctors need to better understand the current research behind medical cannabis,” said Dr. Abrams. “This is a chance to share my own first-hand research experiences at the University of California San Francisco and educate Illinois doctors about how I've applied those experiences in a clinical setting.”
Also speaking is Dr. Leslie Mendoza-Temple, chair of the Illinois Medical Cannabis Advisory Board, who said “This will be an important event for any medical professional who wants to understand the research, law, and administrative processes of a program that will help thousands of patients in Illinois.”
The summit will also feature former regulators from the Illinois Department of Public Health and Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
What: Illinois Medical Cannabis Physicians’ Summit
Where: Westin Chicago River North
When: Friday, June 5, 2015
· Dr. Donald Abrams: chief of Hematology-Oncology at San Francisco General Hospital
· Dr. Suzanne Sisley: specialist in Internal Medicine and Psychiatry; principal investigator in current FDA clinical study looking at the use of whole-plant cannabis in combat veterans with treatment-resistant PTSD
· Dr. Leslie Mendoza-Temple: assistant professor of Family Medicine at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine; chair of Illinois Medical Cannabis Advisory Board
· Dr. Eric Christoff: assistant professor of Clinical Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine; member of Illinois Medical Cannabis Advisory Board
· Tyler Anthony, JD: attorney, Canna Law Group; former legal counsel and senior policy advisor for the Illinois Medical Cannabis Pilot Program
· Scott Seder, JD: attorney, Law Office of Scott P. Seder; former general counsel, Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
· Chris Lindsey, JD: legislative analyst, Marijuana Policy Project (MPP)
· Kurt Florian, JD: president and CEO, Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago
· Julie Prom: chair, Americans for Safe Access – Illinois
The program offers attendees three hours of Continuing Medical Education credit (pending approval) and includes breakfast, lunch, and a cocktail reception. A portion of the proceeds from the event go to local chapters of Americans for Safe Access and the Epilepsy Foundation.